Yoga Poses: Gomukhasana
Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Gomukhasana
- Ancient India has given us a lot of healthy practices to practice and to keep us healthy. Among them are the yoga asanas that people even practice in the modern world. It gives people a lot of peace and helps them beat stress while practicing yoga asanas. A lot of people use yoga asanas while practicing meditation for better health.
- You can try gomukhasana which we see in this article. We cover aspects of how to practice this asana, the benefits, and the precaution that is supposed to be considered while practicing it. By going through this article, you would also know how to master this asana and get help you make the best use of it against all odds.
How To Do The Gomukhasana?
- Cow face pose as gomukhasana as it is otherwise known is one of the easier forms of yoga asana that is present. The first part “go” roughly translates to “cow” in Sanskrit but also means “light”. When you practice this asana, your posture is identifiable to the cow’s face.
- As a beginner you might find it a little difficult to get the sitting bones to rest appropriately or evenly on the floor to practice this asana right. If this is the case with you then the stacking of the knees on top of each other may become increasingly difficult.
- If you find discomfort to put to practice the posture then your spine cannot extend itself while the pelvis is tilted. In these cases, you can try and use a blanket stack which in turn would help and support the sitting bones that can help ease into this position.
- The style is known as “hatha” and it has to be done in durations of 30 – 60 seconds in repetitions according to your comfort levels. We give you a step by step instruction on how to practice gomukhasana and master it with ease.
- By following these steps, you can easily master the art of practicing gomukhasana:
- Step 1: You would have to stretch your legs in front and sit erect whilst on the ground.
- Step 2: By bending you should bring your left leg under your buttocks on the right.
- Step 3: Place your right leg on top of your left thigh by folding it gently.
- Step 4: Your knees should be stacked up on top of each other and be as close to the other one as possible.
- Step 5: Your left arm should be folded and placed behind your back in a gentle manner.
- Step 6: By stretching your right arm over your right shoulder you should be able to get it as close to your left arm as possible. Over a period of time you would not just be able to touch it but also hold it with your right hand.
- Step 7: While leaning slightly backward, you should ensure that your chest and trunk expand to an extent while you still are comfortable with this position.
- Step 8: Once you have followed the 7 steps mentioned above you would be able to reach the cow pose. You can hold on to this position until you are comfortable with it. At the same time while you hold this pose you should concentrate on your breathing in and out.
Benefits Of The Gomukhasana
- You would be astonished with the benefits that you get out of practicing the gomukhasana on a regular basis. Below, you can find a list of the benefits that you would get out of practicing this asana:
- Reduction of stress and anxiety when practiced on a regular basis
- Your back becomes more elastic and helps you flex it better over a period of time
- While you practice this asana, you make your pericardium become more accessible than before
- If you are a person suffering from sciatica, practicing this asana can help in aiding the treatment of the same
- People who suffer from diabetes are greatly helped while practicing this asana as it works on the kidneys too
- Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, you would also be able to increase your concentration levels when you practice the gomukhasana. To be able to get the asana working for you it is imperative that you follow the steps on how to do it the right way.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Gomukhasana
- As seen above there are benefits to be obtained by a person when they practice gomukhasana. However, there are also a few things that one has to keep in mind while practicing the same. These are otherwise known as precautions that you have to keep in mind.
- There are modifications to this asana that you can try out if you find it difficult to follow the steps mentioned. In case you are a person suffering from knee pains and rotary cuff pain and injuries you should refrain from performing this asana.
- Anyone suffering from backache should only perform this asana after they consult with their doctor about the same. It may be a good idea to keep a yoga instructor while you practice this asana if you have physical trouble practicing it.
- Two of the major setbacks people are faced with is the folding of the legs and getting their right and left arm to connect. Always remember that these things can be achieved once you begin slow and practice it on a regular basis. There is no reason for anyone to fret about the fact that they are not able to get it right the first time around.
There are advanced pose modifications and beginners pose that you can choose to use that are slightly different from the steps mentioned above. It is however important that you follow the right steps with each one of them to be able to get the full benefits of practicing gomukhasana. There are always straps that you can use to get your hands to stretch to the desired point. However, they are better suited when you use the same with the help of a yoga instructor. Always consult a doctor or a yoga instructor if you have difficulty with any yoga asanas that you practice. They would ensure that you do only the ones that you are supposed to do and refrain from the others by all means.
Share This Page On...