Yoga Poses: Bharadvajasana
Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Bharadvajasana
Bharadvajasana is a Yoga pose that is dedicated to one of the Saptha rishis or iconic seven seers of India, Rishi Bharadvaja or Sage Bharadvaja. He was famous for his quest for knowledge, and became an outstanding scholar as well as a meditation expert. He had dedicated his entire life to social service. Bharadvajasana is a deep twisting seated pose that makes your knees and spine flexible, and also has many other benefits for the body.
How To Do The Bharadvajasana?
Here are the steps to performing this specific Yoga pose:
- Sit on the floor.
- Keep the back erect.
- Stretch your legs before you.
- Put your arms by the side of your body, near the hips.
- Bend the knees. Bring them near the left hip, in such a way that your body weight is supported by your right buttock.
- Rest the inside of the left ankle on your right thigh’s arch.
- Breathe in and stretch the spine.
- Extend the spine as much as possible.
- Breathe out, and twist your upper trunk to the maximum possible extent.
- Put the left hand over your right outer thigh, and the right hand over the floor.
- Ensure that the hip on your body’s left side presses down your body weight over the floor.
- Bend your back’s upper part a little, and twist around the backbone in such a manner that you can experience the impact from your lower back to your head’s tip.
- Go on stretching the spine as you make your twist more intense, each time that you breathe out.
- Turn the head in such a way that you can look over the right shoulder. Stay in this pose for around 1 full minute.
- Breathe out and softly relax your trunk little by little, so as to move back to the middle.
- Breathe in and repeat this pose with your body weight over the left buttock.
Benefits Of The Bharadvajasana
Doing this Yoga pose can have plenty of benefits for your body.
- Better flexibility – It can make your arms, spine and knees more flexible, and offer an excellent range of motion. You can get a good stretch in the shoulders, spine and hips.
- Improved digestion – The pose has a squeezing and twisting impact on the abdominal organs, giving them a good massage, which helps improve the metabolism and can boost the digestive process.
- Helps in pregnancy – Pregnant women can also benefit from this posture while in the second semester, as it can make their lower back stronger. But those in maternity should try this pose only after having a consultation with their physician. Also, practitioners must twist as per the flexibility of their body, and not force themselves to be able to do it.
- Alleviates pain – The pose helps cure sciatica pain. It can offer relief from pain in lower back, sciatica and neck. If you suffer from a nagging pain in all these areas, which can even go on to be debilitating, it can be a better idea for you to do this pose every day with care. In a few weeks, you can witness a marked improvement in pain relief in all these areas.
- Offers stress relief – Doing this pose can help alleviate anxiety and stress, and make it easier for you to have a good mood. If you have a stressful life and often find it tough to balance all areas of your life, it can be a better idea to practice this Yoga pose every day and get stress alleviation very soon.
- Tones the body – The seated twist yoga pose can also help reduce belly fat, and fat in the obliques or ‘love handles’. It is quite difficult to lose fat from these areas, and this pose not only maneuvers these areas and puts them under stress; it also improves metabolism which can help burn the existing fat deposits of the body – including in these aforesaid areas.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Bharadvajasana
- It is important that you avoid this pose if you are suffering from health problems like:
- Mensuration issues
- Low blood pressure
- High blood pressure
- Also, even if you do not have any such problems but feel any discomfort or have an ill-feeling after performing this pose, it is important that you avoid taking it further.
- Keep in mind that breath control has a major role to play in the success of this pose, and you need to be careful about it. If you feel, you can join a yoga class and get help from an expert Yoga teacher, who can guide you about how to perform the pose in the best possible way.
A relatively easy pose, Bharadvajasana has immense benefits for the mind and body. It can let you have better health than before, and be able to improve your flexibility, functioning of mind and body and more. This is a relatively easy pose that you can master within just a few days of starting the practice. However, there are some important things that you need to keep in mind, such as the precautions, so as to be able to ensure that the pose does not harm you in any way or aggravate an existing health problem.
Share This Page On...