Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Rajakapotasana
- The yoga asana Rajakapotasana is also known popularly as the Eka Pada Rajakapotasana or the one-legged king pigeon pose. In Yin yoga this asana is also referred to as the swan pose. It is ideally a seated asana that is performed with a little stretching.
- It is used both in modern yoga as an exercise and was practiced in traditional yoga too. There are also a few variations to this asana that are practiced around the world with loads of benefits when done properly.
- We look at the easier form of doing Rajakapotasana with steps that can be followed by beginners or intermediate practitioners of yoga asanas. One of the simplest and easier approaches with this asana is by getting into the downward facing dog pose.
How To Do The Rajakapotasana?
- You might ideally want to use a yoga mat, folded fabric, or a folded blanket for the Rajakapotasana. This is due to the contact of your body with the floor and the comfort factor that is associated with it. It also provides greater stability with the asana.
- There are a few preparatory poses and follow-up poses that you might want to practice before you get into the Rajakapotasana. You can attain a lot of benefits when you do the Rajakapotasana in an appropriate way and below are the steps to do so.
- Ideally, from the downward facing dog pose you should move on to down dog split by bringing the right leg of yours upward. These steps are comfortable when done with fabric or mat to support your body parts.
- Now, you can position yourself as if you are about to take a lunge. This can be done by bending your right knee while you bring your left leg forward. You should now bring your right knee to the outside. This should be to the side of your right hand. The shin on your right can be in an angle that is parallel to the front side of your mat.
- You can now go on to release your left knee. This would mean that it would be on the mat and the left leg would be positioned completely flat on the mat. You may take a look towards your backside to make sure the positioning is right. It is also imperative that your left foot is in a position where it is completely pointing backwards.
- Now, you can begin to square your hips ever so gently towards the front part of the mat. If you wish to make this pose comfortable than it already is you can choose to use a folded blanket. This blanket can be placed on the hip towards the right side.
- It is absolutely important that you feel completely comfortable in this pose. Once you are stable and comfortable your torso can be brought can be brought above your right leg by means of proceeding into a forward bend.
- You should feel stable and comfortable in this position with the right balance of your body. If you do not feel so you can choose to use another folded blanket under the knee or the hip.
- Now, you should try to move your forehead towards the mat while your hips are squaring forward. Breathing slowly and steadily would help you overcome any tightness that you might feel while in this position.
- You can now align your hands to your hips when you come back up breathing slowly. This process should be done in a steady and any swift movements should be avoided at all costs.
- To release this pose you can move back into the downward facing dog while you curl your left toes to reach a comfortable position.
- You can follow the steps 1 – 9 on the other side of the body to complete the Rajakapotasana in an effective manner and in the best way possible.
Following these steps is known to be the tested and tried method by many yoga gurus and instructors. Only upon doing the Rajakapotasana the right way you are likely to be rid of injuries and be benefitted by it at the same time as well.
Benefits Of The Rajakapotasana
While there are lots of benefits that come along with the Rajakapotasana we list only the most important ones for you. This would be essential for your body and mind by all means when practiced on a regular basis.
- The entire lower body of the person is stretched when the Rajakapotasana is done right.
- The reproductive organs and system along with the urinary organs begin to function better when practiced regularly.
- By massaging the abdominal organs of your body this asana essentially helps you attain better digestion levels.
- The groin is strengthened and also helps you to open up your chest a little better than your usual way.
- Apart from strengthening the back it also helps people who are faced with sciatica.
- It also helps opening up of your hips and adds your overall stability and balancing factors as well.
- This pose also helps with overall calmness of the mind and helps people to get rid of stress.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Rajakapotasana
In order to attain all the benefits of the Rajakapotasana, you should also be well aware of the precautions that come with it. This would help you not just avoid injury but also enable you to do this asana in the right way.
- People with ankle, knee, thigh, and hip injuries should avoid practicing this asana.
- It is also advised that you do this asana in an empty stomach as it involves bending and putting pressure on the abdominal region of your body.
- Stretching beyond your comfort level can lead to an internal injury which is something that you might want to avoid at all costs.
- In order to do the Rajakapotasana right you should ensure that your body condition is just right.
- You can find this out by talking to a general physician or a yoga guru.
- Avoid rushing into the Rajakapotasana and do it in a steady manner to be safe.
Share This Page On...