Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Naukasana
- The yoga asana with the name of Naukasana is also commonly known as the boat pose. You can practice this asana in two ways. One is while you are in the position of lying down on your stomach and the other one is lying on your back.
- These are often referred to as prone position and supine position respectively. Although this asana is considered a little difficult to master for beginners it would not be long before you can end up mastering it with regular practice.
- You can use both Adho Mukha Svanasana and Uttanasana as your preparatory poses before you get into Naukasana. It is used by people all over the world as an exercise and in modern yoga asanas. It is also considered a seated asana used by beginners.
How To Do The Naukasana?
- When you prepare yourself to do the Naukasana or the boat pose you may want to use a yoga mat or an alternative cushioning fabric. This may be essential as you would be on a flat surface with almost most part of your body touching the floor.
- It is imperative that you practice this pose on a flat surface. The mat or fabric that you use would be able to provide you with the cushion that you require for the body parts where you exert pressure while doing Naukasana. Below are the steps to do Naukasana properly.
- Begin with lying down flat on your back with both of your feet together. Your arms should ideally be parallel to your body and close to it at the same time. You can maintain this position until you are comfortable enough to proceed to the next step.
- You should now begin to inhale deeply before you begin any movement. After inhaling you should go on to raise your feet and chest off from the ground. This is done while you begin to exhale.
- Continue with raising your feet and chest while you also start stretching both of your arms well towards the feet. This is often a continuous process in alignment with the 2nd step.
- You would now be able to feel the muscles and the tension in them which can be felt in the naval area of your body. This is due to the contraction of the abdominal muscles in your body.
- Continuously you should breathe while you are trying your best to maintain this position for a while. Beginners would not be able to hold this position for more than 20 seconds before they start feeling uncomfortable.
- Gently and slowly bring your feet and the back of your body towards the ground. Once you are back on the ground you can relax and repeat the same steps over to get better practice.
The Naukasana is a pose that requires regular practice by an individual. Although you are only able to be in this position for 20 seconds to begin with you would make it up to 2 minutes with relevant ease with practice.
Benefits Of The Naukasana
You get loads of benefits with practicing Naukasana which includes to your body and mind. One of the many benefits that attract people towards this asana is the fact that it is said to help in reducing fat in the abdomen area. Some of the other benefits of it include:
- Abdominal muscles and the muscles at the back of your body are strengthened apart from generally helping the muscles in your arms and legs.
- People suffering from hernia can benefit a great deal when they practice this asana on a regular basis.
- Easing constipation and helping people with excessive gas is also something that this asana is capable of.
- Pancreas, liver, and the kidney along with other organs in the abdominal area are massaged and are helped with being able to function normally.
- Regulating sugar levels in your blood is also something the Naukasana is capable of doing.
- People who are stressed can use this asana regularly to destress. Peace and calmness are what you attain with regular practice of this asana.
- Belly fat is reduced with regular practice of this asana and you can even reduce a pot belly if you practice it regularly.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Naukasana
Like the benefits that come along with the Naukasana there are also some things that you should be cautious about. If you remember these things you can ensure that you do not suffer from any adverse effects of practicing this asana. Some precautions are as follows:
- Anyone who is pregnant should never attempt to practice Naukasana. This can lead to severe complications during pregnancy and any trained yoga instructor would advise you to keep away from this asana while pregnant.
- Women should not try to practice this pose when they are in the initial two days of their menstrual cycle.
- People suffering from migraine and low blood pressure levels are also supposed to not try this asana by any means.
- Back problems, spinal disorders, and other problems with the shoulders can get aggravated if you try to practice this pose in the yoga asana.
- Patients suffering from heart ailments, asthma, and other conditions to do with the heart or lungs should not practice this asana.
- Anyone practicing this asana should ensure that they perform at the advised speeds and follow regular stretches along with the protocol advised. This is important to ensure that they do not suffer from any injuries while practicing this asana.
- Taking preventive measures while practicing any yoga asana is better than doing it wrong and suffering with complications. This is one of the primary reasons why people are advised to speak with experienced yoga gurus, instructors, and yoga teachers.
- Moreover, for your general health conditions you can choose to consult with your general physician before you are planning on starting any type of exercise routine. This way you would ensure that you only reap the benefits of any asana and not adverse effects of it.
Share This Page On...