Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Matsyendrasana
- This Matsyendrasana is otherwise known also as Lord of the Fishes Pose. You can find this yoga asana being practiced both in modern yoga and hatha yoga. This is also one among the many asanas that you do in a completely seated position.
- The Matsyendrasana is also said to have various variants that are in practice by many people in different parts of the world today. However, we look at the easier forms of this asana that you can practice with relative ease and attain the benefits that are associated with it.
- There are apparently a variety of preparatory poses that are associated with Matsyendrasana. You would also find follow-up poses associated with this asana that you can choose to do that can help your body, mind, and soul.
How To Do The Matsyendrasana?
- You would find it a lot easier when you choose to follow the steps that are provided below. This would also ensure that you are doing the Matsyendrasana right and keep yourself injury free by all means.
- It is advised that you choose to use the preparatory poses and follow-up poses before and after you practice Matsyendrasana. Moreover, it might also be a good idea to do it the beginner’s way before you move towards the more advanced poses with this asana.
- As a beginner you might always want to use a folded blanket, mat, or a yoga mat for this asana. You can gently sit on your mat or folded fabric with your spine completely erect, your feet together, and your legs being stretched in front of you.
- You can either choose to keep your left leg in a straight line or choose to bend it by placing the heel on right beside the right hip. Remember beginners can choose to keep it straight if bending makes the process a little too difficult.
- Then you can proceed to move the right leg and place it over the left knee. After this, you can then move your left hand to place it on the right knee and your right hand can be moved right behind you.
- The most important part now is moving three parts of your body or rather twisting it. Your neck, shoulders, and waist should be in sequence to the right so that you are able to see over your right-side shoulder.
- At all times in the above-mentioned steps, you should ensure that your spine is kept straight so as to ensure maximum effectiveness. Once you are in this position you should begin inhaling and exhaling in slow, gentle, and long breaths.
- While you breathe out you can release the right hand from the position first. This hand should have ideally been behind you at all times while doing the above steps. Waist, chest, and neck should be released in the particular order.
- You should now be able to relax while your spinal cord still remaining straight.
- Now follow the steps from 1 – 7 in the same order with the other side of your body with the other arm and leg in the same fashion. This would help you complete the Matsyendrasana in the perfect order.
At all times while you are following the steps from 1 – 7 you should ensure that your body is not stretched beyond its limit by any means. The folded fabric or the mat that you use would ensure that there is no friction between your body and the floor by cushioning.
Benefits Of The Matsyendrasana
You would be amazed to find out the impact the Matsyendrasana has on your mind, body, and soul. We look at some of the important and salient advantages that you have while practicing this asana.
- You would be able to increase the flexibility and elasticity of the spinal cord by practicing this asana. Also increases blood flow to the spine.
- It would also make your spine supple and help avoid injuries to it while you flex it with other exercises that may interest you.
- People who had difficulty with breathing would find that they can breathe easy now since the oxygen to the lungs had increased.
- It also helps your chest expand better making you more flexible than you were earlier.
- The muscles on either side of your body are stretched to a good extent when you practice Matsyendrasana.
- Anyone suffering from a slipped disk would find this asana particularly useful.
- Your general appetite would increase to a good extent since your digestive juices secrete better with the massaging of the abdominal organs.
- People suffering from diabetes can also find this to be a useful asana.
- The tension in your neck, upper back, shoulders, and arms are relieved with this asana.
- Your internal organs get purified along with the purification of the blood.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Matsyendrasana
A certain set of precautions are supposed to be followed when you practice Matsyendrasana. This would help you avoid injury and complicate existing health conditions if you have any too.
- Never strain your hips or knees while doing this asana. This means go only to the extent you are able to practice this asana without pain by not stretching it too much so as to make you uncomfortable.
- You should ensure that your neck or back does not lean forward while practicing the Matsyendrasana.
- Avoiding sitting on your heels is very important and this can be achieved only when you do not have either of your buttocks lift off the ground at all. Sitting on your heels can put untoward pressure on them and complicate matters.
- Never ever perform any sudden movements on any part of your body while you practice the Matsyendrasana. This can result in serious injury that you would never want yourself to be associated with.
- Any type of physical exercise routine that you undertake should be after taking advise from your general physician.
- This would ensure that your body condition is taken into consideration before you are allowed to do it on a regular basis.
Share This Page On...