Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Marichyasana
- The Marchyasana is said to be originating from the name of a Hindu sage originating from the mythology. Although not found in medieval version of the yoga it is common in modern yoga. This one is to the sage Marichi and has different versions that are practiced.
- We will see the most common ways in which this asana is practiced and the ways to do it. This pose involves twisting the body while seated position to attain the benefits of the asana. The beginners of the Marchyasana can follow these steps before trying others.
How To Do The Marichyasana?
- If you are beginner with yoga asanas you might want to try this easier method before going into the advanced versions of Marchyasana. The target areas of this asana are hips, shoulders, hamstrings, and the back of the person practicing it.
- Using a yoga mat, folded blanket, or other fabric can be considered to increase the comfort level while doing the Marchyasana. It would also help you to avoid injuries that can be related to practicing this yoga asana.
- You begin the Marchyasana by sitting as tall as you can while having both of your legs stretched in front of you. The legs should be straight by all means which often forms the Dandasana or the staff pose.
- You should be able to leave a width which is equivalent to your hand between your opposite thigh and foot. Before this you should have to bend your right knee, which would then be placed as close as possible to your right buttock.
- While doing this your left leg should be extended and flexed. It should also be engaged while the leg is extended. You should then stretch your right arm and move it towards your left foot.
- Avoid grabbing your left foot with your right arm. Instead, you should turn the right palm towards the right-hand side of the fabric that you are seated on. This would mean that your thumb ends up pointing towards the fabric or the mat that you are seated on.
- To make this next step easier you should now have your shoulder and upper arm come forward. You should then proceed to wrap around your right arm which in turn would come in front of your shin.
- Your left arm should now begin to move towards the ceiling. This should be done while your right arm stays in position and your chest opening up a little.
- Proceed further to bring down your left arm and position it behind your back. This would allow you to join both your hands together. This can be difficult to begin with but as time goes by you would find it easier.
- Now your spinal cord should be in a straight line and not bent. You would be able to sit tall on your yoga mat or fabric without much strain caused to the body. You should now inhale as deep as you can.
- Now you should begin to bend forward while you exhale. While doing this your hands should be in position along with the spine. You should now concentrate your eyes on the left foot or toes. You should keep your right foot firmly placed on the ground despite your right knee moving towards your right side. You may also experience your buttock coming slightly off the ground. This is alright and is normal for anyone who is practicing the Marichyasana.
- You can choose to hold up to 5 or a minimum of 3 breaths before coming back to a position that keeps your spine perpendicular. While doing this you would also unfold the hands that were in position while you did this asana.
While this completes the Marichyasana you can now begin to follow the same steps from 1 till 10 on the other leg. There are a few common mistakes that you are likely to make but that would be rectified over a period of time practicing the Marichyasana.
Benefits Of The Marichyasana
You would be surprised by the benefits that you attain out of practicing the Marichyasana. However, these benefits would only be applicable to people who do this asana on a regular basis and not once in a while. The benefits of the Marichyasana are as follows:
- You are able to massage the different abdominal organs of your body and that includes the kidneys and liver.
- The stimulation of the brain is also something that happens while you practice Marichyasana.
- This asana especially works wonders with your shoulders and stretches it properly.
- If you are a person having hip pain or back ache you would find it going off with regular practice of this asana.
- You would be able to strengthen your spine and stretch it at the same time.
- If you have tight hamstrings you would be able to provide relief to it. This is especially the case for runners.
- The pose is also considered to be a calming one that eventually helps with introspection.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Marichyasana
Mishaps are possible when you are doing the Marichyasana. Therefore, you are supposed to take necessary precautions to ensure that you avoid injury to your body.
- Anyone having issues with their lower back or shoulders are advised not to practice this asana.
- You should never stretch your body beyond its ability as you might end up hurting it very badly. This is also applicable for the bind of your hands and moving forward.
- People suffering from diarrhoea or asthma are also advised not to practice this asana at all.
- Keep the process slow and steady so that you do not compromise your spine by any means. This means avoiding fast paced movements forward while doing Marichyasana.
- If you have any health conditions it is always better to consult your general physician before you try the Marichyasana.
- Alternatively, you can also speak with yoga instructors, gurus, and teachers who can provide you with important inputs and help you with this asana.
Share This Page On...