Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Gorakshasana
- Yoga asana is considered one of the better ways to improve your mind health and body health. There are various asanas that are practiced by people in a bid to attain better health over a period of time. Each asana is said to have its own benefits and has to be practiced with care.
- With gorakshasana it is said that it is one of the easier asanas to practice when done over a period of time. In the below article you would get to learn more about gorakshasana, how to practice it, precautions about practicing it and its benefits. This asana is said to be named after the sage Gorakhnath who apparently used this pose for meditation.
How To Do The Gorakshasana?
- As mentioned above the pose refers to the sage Gorakhanath and the position that he often held for meditation. It is also said to be a pose that has helped people get flexible muscles in a much easier manner than thought by many.
- To be able to get the perfect balance with this pose it may be a good idea for a person to practice dandasana for a while. This asana is also said to be a key factor when it comes to practicing many asanas from yoga.
- In order to master gorakshasana you may wish to go with the easier version of the same as a beginner before you are able to go for the expert version. We detail the steps that you have to follow in order to get the right posture for this asana.
- As a beginner you might want to keep your legs parallel to the floor. In other words, you may not want to raise your heels and just keep them along with the knees on the ground. In other words, you might not want to balance on just your toes and knees to begin with.
- So, beginners need not necessarily start off with the entire procedure as it may become way too tasking for their liking. Once they are well versed with the beginners pose, they can go on to try out the expert one.
- You can follow these step by step instructions on how to do gorakshasana below:
- The simplest is the way in which you start this asana. It is important that you ensure that you sit in the most comfortable position on the floor.
- Stretch your legs in front of you and ensure that they are parallel to the floor.
- By keeping your soles and heels together bend the knees and draw them close to the perineum.
- Use both your hands to hold the feet together. By bending your toes raise the heels and ensure that you place the balls on your toes on the floor.
- Ensure that your neck, torso, and your head are in one straight position. Make sure you sit upright and do not change the posture.
- Now move the palms of your hand and keep on the opposite heels of your legs.
- You can either choose to keep your vision focused on your nose or have your eyes closed. The mind however should be focused between your eyebrows.
- Breathe normally and maintain the position for as long as you can. This duration can last anywhere between a few minutes to a few hours depending on the level of expertise you have achieved with this asana.
Benefits Of The Gorakshasana
Like all asanas there are a lot of benefits that come with practicing the gorakshasana. However, one would have to ensure that they are doing it right and it can be achieved by following the above steps. The main benefits of gorakshasana are as follows:
- You are able to conserve your sexual energy when you practice this poseIf you are into tantra yoga practices this position can bring about a lot of effect into it and it also compliments your state of meditation
- Lower back joints and that of your legs become while you practice this asana for a while
- It helps reverse the flow of apana thus directing it upwards towards the mid-section of your body which is at best put to use when you are in a state of meditation
- Piles and urinary disorders are helped with the use of this asana
- Overcoming inertia and sloth problems are also possible by practicing this
- To be able to renew your body and mind you can use this asana effectively
- Yoga asana is one of the ways in which you can put your mind and body to rest and relax at the same time when you master it. Likewise, gorakshasana helps you while you practice it with care.
- Like we mentioned already, if you are not able to balance yourself on your toes you can always keep your feet horizontal with both the heels and toes touching the ground to begin with. This would help you overcome balancing issues while you start with this asana.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Gorakshasana
- Gorakshasana has a few precautions for people who are suffering from certain conditions. It is better if they keep away from practicing this asana if they have problems with the joints and issues with their feet.
- In case of spinal cord deformities and problems in the hip area you should not practice this asana. Other disabilities associated with the hips, spinal cord, feet, and legs should keep away from practicing this asana.
- Mudra or pranayama are the two types of asanas that you can practice after you are done with gorakshasana.
- Always remember that speaking and taking guidance from a yoga instructor is a good option if you are not able to follow the steps provided.
- If you are suffering from irritable bowel syndrome this can be a good asana to get the necessary health benefits for the same.
- In case of difficulty in doing this asana, you may also wish to consult your doctor about the same before you practice it regularly.
- Always keep in mind that to achieve the final pose you may need anywhere between a few weeks to a few months of regular practice.
Share This Page On...