Take special precautions while doing any asana. If you are learning yoga, then take the advice of a knowledgeable person. Do not put any kind of force in the event of pain or unable to do so. Keep in mind that you will be able to succeed only with constant practice.
Brief Introduction Of The Bidalasana
Bidalasana is a Yoga pose that is also referred to as ‘Cat Stretch Pose’ or simply as ‘Cat Pose’. It is regarded as a basic pose, but can serve to warm the body up systematically. The name of this posture comes from the Sanskrit words ‘Bidal’ that means ‘cat’ and ‘Asana’ standing for pose. The pose helps open the spine up and can be an effective way to stretch your back after waking up in the morning.
How To Do The Bidalasana?
Here is a step-wise guide on how to perform this Yoga pose.
- Get down on your knees and support your body weight on your knees and hands.
- Keep the hands under the shoulders. The knees should be right under the hips. Point your middle fingers straight.
- Have the back of your body in a horizontal posture, and keep it perfectly flat.
- Fixate your eyes on the floor.
- Now your body is in a posture that is regarded as neutral positioning. You can find that your spine is fully extended and your pelvis happens to be in a zero state.
- When you hang on for your inner cue, take care that your shoulders are never dropped.
- Push the hands down, so that you can easily create an energy line from beginning to end.
- Go on practicing on both sides in this manner for a number of times, and ensure that you can understand the movements quite well.
- Once you exhale, wane into the shoulder and act improperly. Elongate your arms as you inhale.
- Bring your arms out of your shoulders and act properly.
- After you are prepared to start the pose, you have to inhale deeply.
- As you breathe out, you have to move the hips to the cat posture.
- You have to perform it by using force and contracting the core muscles, to draw them as near to your spine as possible.
- Keep your tailbone down as well as beneath, and gradually try to make your muscles tight at the buttock.
- Use your hands to press down, so as to lift your body out of your shoulders.
- Try forcing the middle of your back to the ceiling. Encircle the spinal column.
- Bend the head in and fixate the eyes to the direction of the floor.
Benefits Of The Bidalasana
The pose looks quite easy, and through regular practice you can get the perfect balance in breath as well as alignment. There are quite a few advantages that you can get from practicing Bidalasana.
- Higher flexibility – You can make your spine more flexible. As you flex your spine, you can get the ability to have better flexibility.
- Alleviates tension – It can be easy for you to relax tension around your shoulders, neck, middle back and lower back. The pose massages the muscles and the spine.
- Improves strength – You can be assured of stronger shoulder joints, knee joints, hip joints, wrists, shoulders and arms. Practicing this posture can also make engage your core muscles completely, and strengthening them.
- Improves digestion – The pose helps massage your core muscles or ab muscles softly, which can improve digestion.
- Gives better sleep – You can also enjoy better sleep, given that this pose improves insomnia issues and can reduce stress.
- Betters body posture – If you suffer from poor posture, this pose can help improve the same.
- Alleviates pain symptoms – This pose can have restorative benefits for anybody who is suffering from Fibromyalgia issues.
- Helps with female problems – This pose can be good for postnatal as well as prenatal women, and can also reduce the signs associated to PMS.
Precautions To Be Taken While Doing The Bidalasana
There are some precautions that you must take before practicing Bidalasana.
- If you have suffered some injury or trauma to the head, ensure that your head is exactly in line with the body while you practice this pose.
- In case you suffer from any problems in your neck or back, it is better that you consult a physician prior to trying this pose. Even if doctors give a nod, ensure that you practice the pose according to the suggestions of a certified and trained yoga teacher. He / she can advise you how to practice without worsening your neck or back problems.
- Always keep your neck elongated and the shoulders down during the practice. If there is any pain or injury in your shoulder, you need to use your neck carefully. Do not move your neck much. You also need to avoid this posture if you have back pain or injury.
- If you are a beginner, avoid practicing this pose for over 30 seconds, given that it could be dangerous for you. Once you have become an expert in this posture, you can gradually stay in this pose for a minute or two. If you have some discomfort in rounding the upper part of your upper back, have a friend or family member help you by placing his hands between your shoulder blades, so as to help you in activating this part.
The Cat Pose or Bidalasana is a great Yoga pose that can make your vertebrae more mobile. When you assume the posture of a cat, it can relax your back area and make your spine more flexible. The pose might look very basic, but has immense benefits for the mind and body. If you want to have the holistic benefits of this pose, you must practice it regularly. This is a great posture that can be performed quite easily.
Share This Page On...