Brief introduction of Kabaddi
A popular sport, Kabaddi can be learned easily and has its origins in the history of South Asia and ancient India.
This is a famous contact sport that is played all over the country.
In the states of Maharashtra, Telengana, Bihar, Tamil Nadu and Punjab, it is an official game.
Things required to play Kabaddi game
- Two teams play this game. Each team comprises of 12 players. But just 7 players in each team are permitted to play on the field at any given time.
- The playing surface or field of Kabaddi is 13 X 10 m in measurement. A white line, referred to as the halfway line, separates the playing field into two halves. Each half is occupied by a team. The sport may be played on various surfaces, whether a dedicated clay court or a spare ground in which a playing area has been demarcated with chalk.
- As compared to many other famous games and sports, this is a sport that does not actually require any accessories, clothing or special equipment. This makes sure that the game can be played by anybody.
Required Skills for Kabaddi game
This is a contact sport that needs agility, strategy, stamina and strength. The game might appear to be simple, but plenty of technique and skills is needed to attain expertise on the sport. Players need the following things to be able to play Kabaddi well.
- Physical fitness
Endurance, stamina and strength are the simple things needed for playing this sport. Plenty of mental and physical strength is needed for this game-play. Workouts, running and crossover exercises should be done for the purpose of endurance-building.
The eating habits of a player affect his stamina and determine his physical structure. Thus, Kabaddi players have to know about what they are eating. The diet of a player should complement his exercises, and must have vitamins, minerals, carbohydrates and proteins.
Kabaddi players have to undergo a lot of tension and stress during the matches. They should have a peaceful and calm mind in order to take proper decisions when the time is right. The best players practice meditation and Yoga to build concentration, and maintain calmness and patience when the game gets aggressive.
- Practicing the moves
Players have to practice many Kabaddi moves for many times, and perform mock raids with other team members to get ready for the tense moments while the match is ongoing. When you practice, everyone has to know about their weaknesses and strengths and has to work on the same.
Devising proper strategies is one of the key skills that players need to have. Without a game plan, they should not enter the field. They have to carefully study opponents’ moves and know about their tactics. Each defender has a signature technique, such as ankle hold or thigh hold. Raiders have to judge that well, and accordingly score their points. Teams have to be prepared for every contingency in any situation.
How to play Kabaddi game?
- The aim of players in this game is to just score more points when compared to the opposition team in the specified time. To be able to do that, each team has to try scoring points by defending as well as attacking. While defending, the aim is to grab raiders by wrestling them down or just by disallowing them from going back to their own area by the time they are out of breath.
- While attacking, the team that is in offense sends a raider across into the area of the opposition. The raider has to touch an opposition member or multiple members, to notch up a point.
- It is quite easy to score in this game. Teams score a point for every opponent who is made to go out of the game. An opponent is put out in various ways, and a point is scored for the same. While attacking, raiders touch the members of the opposition and put them out. At the time of defending, this is possible by disallowing raiders from going back to their own area.
- In Kabaddi, bonus points can also be availed. A raider may earn an additional point by touching the bonus line with success in the area of the opposition. A team can get 3 bonus points when every opponent is declared out. A point can also be availed in case any member of the opposing team moves out of the boundary.
Some important rules to play Kabaddi
- In each team, there are as many as 12 players. Just 7 of them are on the field in any given time.
- Due to the sports’ physical nature, matches happen to be categorized in weight and age categories.
- 6 officials look after every match of Kabaddi. The officials include 2 umpires, 2 assistant scorers, a scorer and a referee.
- At the beginning of a match, a coin toss declares the winner.
- While raiding, in order to score a point the raider has to run into the area of the opposition and tag one member or more of the same, before going back to their own pitch area. This has to be done in just one breath, and the player has to yell ‘Kabaddi’ continuously to prove this.
- The team that is being raided is in defense. Its players have to prevent raiders from tagging them and going back over the line of halfway. The defense team can score a point by preventing the return of the raider to their own pitch area after tagging them.
Share This Page On...