Home → Fun Zone → Games → Out Door Games → Hopscotch
Brief introduction of Hopscotch
- Childhood days are beautiful especially that was more beautiful in past. Today’s child spends lots of time playing online games on mobile or watching cartoons. But there are many classic games that they can enjoy outside with even no such equipment or smart gadgets. These games are not only fun but great exercise for the child. You surely have beautiful childhood memories with them. Many of the people have spent hours and hours of time by playing such interesting games with cousins, siblings or friends. This is an old game that is continuing its journey since the Roman age. Roman soldiers often enjoyed the game to test their skill, a thousand years ago. Many children or even the elders enjoy this game in different corners of the world but the name is different in a different country. There are some variations of the game too, but the basic rules of the game in same. This is an interesting and exciting outdoor game for the children.
- Hopscotch is such an interesting hopping game that can be enjoyed on sidewalk, pavement or even on your indoor floors. There are different types of diagram that the player draws. You can use the favorite version of the diagram. One can use chalk to draw the pattern on the floor. Need to make the diagram with 8 to 10 boxes or sections and then number them. Each of the players needs to have a marker like a bottle cap, stone, piece of brick etc. You can play the game alone, but it can be more challenging and more fun when you play it with your gangs. It gives also them a good opportunity to develop their skills. It is a good and easy game for the players to play them together. The rules of the game are simple and there will be technically one winner at the end. It helps the children to develop emotionally.
Things required to play Hopscotch game
There is no such ingredient or equipment needed for the game. Only a marker that can be a small piece of brick, stone or just a cap of a bottle, some wide place to draw the boxes or squares to make the hopscotch pattern. There is also the necessity of a few hoppers or players. The traditional court of Hopscotch is like a series of different squares that comes in a line. They must be 1” to 10” in size as per the following boxes. In some of the locations, permanent hopscotch courts exist, practically engraved into stone and concrete to provide a ready-made game or three to any groups of children who are inclined to take advantage of it. Other times, children or even their elders take a piece of street chalk and they scrawl a court into existence on the sidewalk or playground.
How to play Hopscotch game
- The first player should stand behind the very first starting like and toss his/her marker in the boxes and hop over number 1 to 2 then continue to the number 8 and turn around. He/she must pause in the number 2 box and picks up the marker then hop in the number 1 box and then turn around to back hoping again.
- Then she/he must continue by tossing their stone in the box 2. All hopping should be done on one foot otherwise the design of the hopscotch design such way that two of the boxes are side-by-side. Two feet should be placed down with one in every box. A player needs to hop over the box where the marker has places already.
- A player will be out if his/her marker fails to reach the right box, the hopper needs to steps on the line, the hopper can lose the balance as bend over to pick the marker. He/she puts the foot or second hand down as the hopper goes into the right box where the marker is or if the player puts down the feet in the single square. The player needs to put the marker in a box where the hopper will play on his next turn and so the next hopper starts. Some of the players create a rest area at one of the ends of their hopscotch pattern where the hopper can rest for a few seconds before starting the back hopping.
Skill required for playing Hopscotch game
The one and most important skill required for the game is the capability to move the one part or side of the body when keeping still their other parts of the body. They need to have good balance on their own to play and to stay on one foot. They need to keep the proper balance while getting back or just bending over to determine the best way to play the game. They need to have expertise in homo-lateral movements. They need to have problem-solving capability too. This game helps the children to grow up their body control and movements. This is a simple game is actually a demanding test of stamina and skill. It is perhaps because of its deceptive simplicity that hopscotch remains such a popular game of children. Indeed, its uniquely-shaped court, which can actually vary depending on where it is played and the preferences of the players, is instantly recognizable as such.
Some important rules to play Hopscotch game
To play the game, hoppers need to follow a few easy steps.
- There should be multiplayer in the game. They need to throw the marker in the right place. If the player throws it to the wrong place, the hopper will miss his/her chance.
- If one player misses it, others will get her/his chance to play the game.
- They will miss the chance or turn also if step on a line or just enter into the wrong box if they miss the balance or enter to a box with two feet in.
- If one player misses the chance, they need to repeat again on the next turn from the similar number where they end before losing chance.
- If one finished all the sequences by following the marker in all right boxes, he/she will win the game.
Share This Page On...
Home → Fun Zone → Games → Out Door Games → Hopscotch