Brief introduction of Baseball
Baseball is a bat-ball game that is played between two teams, each consisting of as many as 9 players. Teams take turns in batting, in an attempt to score runs. This is a very engaging game that many people play around the globe. The game became popular in the U.S during the early part of the 19th century. At that time, it was referred to as ‘Townball’. Today, it is among the most important sports activity in the U.S. It is regarded as the national sport in America.
Things Required To Play Baseball Game
The most basic things that you need are:
It is an aluminum or a wooden bat used by the team on the offensive. The defense throws the ball, and the bat is used to strike it.
It is a white ball having a red stitch, and its diameter is typically 3 inches. It is tossed to the offense by the defense team.
The field area may vary from one place to another. However, the distance is generally 90 feet between the bases. The section farther from bases is known as the ‘outfield’ while the one nearer to bases is called ‘infield’. A baseball field has 4 bases.
Skills Required to Play Baseball
You need to have a defensive mentality to play as a fielder. Your team should have a defensive preparation about what needs to be done with the baseball after each pitch. The best way to prepare is to give directions to the players about what should be done if the ball is on a line, in the air or on the field.
The players of your team have to remind themselves regarding how many outs have been there. You need to talk to every member of your team on the field to ensure that everyone is on the same page. With defensive tactics agreed on beforehand, your players can stay more well-prepared and alert to play well in case the ball is hit and comes in their direction.
A key skill in pitching is to toss the ball to the target of the catcher. Pitchers need to be instructed by a coach to focus their eyes on the gloves of the catcher at all times during the windup and all through the moment when the ball is released. Lots of pitchers make the mistake of losing focus, which leads to improper pitches.
Likewise, a catcher needs to practice giving pitchers a proper target. He should learn how the pitch should be framed, so that the pitcher can get success. The technique of catching is often ignored. It is a better idea to prepare a wide array of drills for a baseball catcher.
This is an important discipline that a baseball player should properly train himself in. The key to success in hitting is to be able to pick up the ball’s spin and speed, given that it goes out of the hands of the pitcher. A coach needs to give directions to a hitter to concentrate on the pitcher's release point. Batters have to focus on the ball going out of the hands of the pitcher. They should not be cheated by a pitcher's deceptive maneuvers – such as a fancy windup – to avoid the batter hitting the ball when it is released. If a batter is late in picking up the ball, he can have less time in making out the pitch speed, type and location as the ball travels to the plate.
How To Play Baseball?
- This sport is played by two teams that compete against one another in a playing field. Each team has 9 players. The basic equipment required for playing is a ball and a bat, and obviously the playing field or sports court where the game would be played. The baseball game field is referred to as ‘Diamond’ in the major league.
- The game involves using the bat to hit the ball. One team would serve as the batter whereas the other one would be the fielder. The team that bats will notch up the score and earn points in the game in case its runs the diamond’s four bases with success after making a hit successfully. On the other hand, the team that fields would try to get the hitters out and prevent the batter team from notching up scores.
- As a baseball player, you have to aim to notch up more scores than your opposing team. As a batter, you are supposed to hit the ball tossed at you as far as possible before running around the four bases in order to finish a run. After you manage to get around all the 4 bases before you are tagged out, you are replaced by another batter.
Some Important Rules to Play Baseball
- A batter may run to every base. When a batsman makes a run to the 3 bases from the hitting base and returns back, he manages to notch up one score. He has time until when the other team's member returns the balls to other players acting as fielders on the bases. After the ball is got back , the batsman cannot run any more. Else, he would be tagged out.
- The two members of the team acting as batter are not able to stand at the same time at the same base. Otherwise, they would be regarded as tagged out. This is similar to a successive run. A member of the batting team makes a run to a post, followed by some other member. The first member then runs to the second base etc, until he is able to get to the original base and subsequently to the batting base and move to the pavilion when there is counting of one run.
- A batting team member scores a home-run when he touches all the 4 bases with success without returning of the ball in time to distract him from going for another run to the various bases.
Share This Page On...